Friday, April 30, 2010

Mertle the Turtle

There's this disgusting little pond/wetland near my house in Champlin that's filled with turtles.  They are a bit more sensitive than I thought they'd be -- wouldn't let me get closer than 10 yards before they dove back into the water and eventually stuck their little heads up to see if I was still around.  Might have been the dog though - I'll have to leave her at home next time!  

But doesn't this water look disgusting?  There was an article in the StarTrib the other day about how full of chemicals neighborhood ponds are.  I'm thinking this is one of them!  Yuck.

3 comments:

  1. Love the turtles! Now you have me wondering if this is the Mill Pond, I'm fairly close to that, but spend more time at the Coon Rapids Dam Park looking for turtles and ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure where Mill Pond is but I do live near the Coon Rapids Dam (about 2.5 miles north on the Champlin side - near West River Rd & Xenia by Maverick's Grill). Where are you at Rob?

    This is a little pond between neighborhoods near Oxbow Park in Champlin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are just east of Winnetka and south of West River Road - north of Andrews Park. Mill Pond is on the corner of West River road and 169.

    I'm at the dam a few mornings per week with fellow unemployeds and retirees. We monitor the Osprey nest, then walk the park and check other woodpecker nests and the secluded wood duck pond.

    ReplyDelete